Return to Crippen Main Page Crippen Grippen Family Research
You must REGISTER before you will be able to view and post on our Bulletin Board. This protects our Members from unauthorized use of this board. Please read the FAQ for this Bulletin Board before using (see button below).

Return to Crippen Main Page  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alford, MA, Crippens

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Crippen Grippen Family Research Forum Index -> Research Collections and Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Tieman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Alford, MA, Crippens Reply with quote

Alford, Berkshire Co, MA, was on the path of migration for many Crippen families on their way west from Sharon, Litchfield Co, CT. The tiny town of Alford lies at the eastern foot of the Housatonic Mountains, that barrier between the Yankees of New England and the Yorkers of New York. Some of the Crippens lived up in those mountains, now pretty empty, and more lived just west along the Green River that runs down through Columbia Co, NY, then turn east through a gap in the mountains to pass through Alford, Egremont, and my Root ancestor's land in Great Barrington to join the Housatonic River that flows on south, eventually passing between Cornwall and Sharon!

Samuel Comstock collected most of the Crippen land records in Berkshire Co, but I don't believe that he checked the Alford Town records. I recently read those Town Meeting Minutes, Vol. 1, 1759-1866, FHL 250283. It is mostly legible, often confusing because entries are made out of chronological order and their meaning is not clear to me; it really starts at 1773 and I quit reading at Apr 1800. I've read other town meeting minutes of this vintage and this is the most incoherent.

The only Crippen who was involved much in government was Ezra, assumed to be the son of John and Mary (Richmond) Crippen. He served as constable off and on 1775 to 1791 and had other offices such as deer reave and juror. He was so popular that he received some votes for the position as a Senator in 1783. I suppose that this reflects his position as Baptist minister and sergt. in the Revolutionary War. Also mentioned for more minor positions was Thomas Crippen (assumed to be his brother). Alfeus Crepin (and Creepin) (assumed to be Alpheus, his cousin) and John Crippen (assumed to be his brother) are mentioned in connection to setting tax rates, both probably being delinquent.

This record also includes the ear mark lists for 1776, a more complete list of residents. These include Ezra, Thomas, Joseph, and Hosea Crippen.

I have copies of all pages of interest.

charlie
bewyatt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Any Additional Names Reply with quote

Are your copies of the Alford records pages that contain only Crippen names?

Or, more pages than Crippen. If so, are the surnames Kelsey and/or Bronson mentioned.
Charles Tieman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Bronson and Kelsey in Alford Reply with quote

The Brunson [sic] and Kelsey names are on every page. William and Reuben Brunson, Daniel, Reuben, Abel Kelsey are some that I see. I copied the pages from microfilm with a digital camera and have about 75 images, 2.5MB each. I could send you a few examples, reduced in size.

charlie
bewyatt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Crippen, Brunson, Kelsey - Alford Town Records Reply with quote

The 1st Crippen I can find that married a Brunson/Bronson (Clarissa) was Daniel (son of Reuben and Bulah).

1st Crippen located that married a Kelsey (Francis) was Rhoda (dau. of Ichabod and Mary Whiting).

We're researching the Brunson/Kelsey/Crippen land records. The 3 families interchanged land and we needed an anchor point.

Yes, I would like a couple of examples. Attachments were never set as an allowable feature on this BB. Please send to the following email address:
NOTE: email address removed after 48 hours.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Crippen Grippen Family Research Forum Index -> Research Collections and Information All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: